Oahu revisited

So in addition to some of the sights we saw (that are in another post), we did make sure to take some time to relax and enjoy our time in Hawaii. As the time change absolutely killed us the first morning after we arrived (we all woke up about 3am), I decided it would be more worthwhile to get up and experience my first Hawaiian sunrise. I wasn't disappointed! Here's a photo that I took from near where we were staying.Also, we had a chance to go to our first Luau. Talk about a unique, fun experience...whole pig and all. (For those who know me, although we've lived in North Carolina for over 6 years, I've never really become a convert to Carolina barbeque...too vinegary). So, I wasn't sure what it would taste like since the only whole pig I'd had was in NC. Fortunately, it was better. A bit fatty, but better to be sure. :) Heather and I even got to get up and dance with all the other couples that had anniversaries in the same month (July). That may be the last time I ever dance with Heather in public...
Here's a photo I took while we were snorkeling at Shark's Cove, part of Pupukea Beach. It was pretty cool to see sea turtles in person. The girls loved it when we spoke to them on the phone that night and told them we'd swam with sea turtles just like they'd seen on "Finding Nemo."
One of the things that surprised me a bit was how great the food was in the little country joints we found. Just one example (although probably my favorite) is below...a special at the Hukilau Cafe. To be honest I have no idea what part of the cow the teriyaki beef came from, but it was some of the best I've ever eaten. The gravy drenched rice and macaroni salad were also great. They even had a breakfast burger (complete with a fried egg and more of that teriyaki beef on top of the normal burger and such) that looked good. Also considered hits were the shrimp at the Kahuku Shrimp Shack (we never made it to Romy's)...so good that you had to wait like 40 minutes for your shrimp. Breakfast at the Kahuku Grill was also good...banana or coconut pancakes with great bacon and hashbrowns. Definitely will stop by next time I'm there!Last, it's probably approriate to give a hint of what we were treated to every night. Although this photo is from in Honolulu, and the sunset was arguably better on the other side of the island, it was pretty spectacular wherever we were at.

We want to say "Thanks a ton" to mom for taking the clan...we all had a priceless time. (Cue the Mastercard commercial!)

Comments

Kate said…
Wow - it looks like you had a wonderful time! I've enjoyed reading your blog and catching up on all the things you've done this summer!
It was so good talking to you today Heather! I'm so glad you guys had such a fun trip, you deserve it so much!
Shannon said…
Thanks for letting take a peek at your blog and family! Your girls are soo beautiful! Wish you all well!
Jenny said…
Happy Anniversary back in July! Thanks for letting us be a part of your blog! I was hoping you would invite us! It's fun to see your girls all growing up and losing a tooth already??? Yikes! I can't believe you have a first grader and we only have 1 that is about to turn 1! I'm jealous that you guys got to go to Hawaii- looks like a blast!! Keep us updated on your other adventures and good luck finishing dental school (again)!!! ;)

Popular Posts